Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Issac, Issac, blessed must thou be...)

Ok, so I believe in being honest. The last post, not so nice... I am having some issues (obviously.) No insight for today, let's just listen to some music. Hows about Britten's Canticle II. Abraham and Issac. I think it might actually be one of the most powerful things he wrote. Two singers: a tenor who plays "Abraham" a Mezzo as "Issac" when they sing together they form the voice of God. Just a ravishing piece of music. Britten uses it in his War Requiem, another amazing work and statement on humanity, it really should be performed more often. Thinking about fathers today, this piece seemed fitting. At any rate, excuse the rantings of a crazy, sometimes you just got to let it out.

Another composer to look up: Luke Mayernik, he composed a work entitled A Requiem for Mr. Rodgers, lovely http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1742804.

I know all of the Requiem talk, it is almost November. Time to think of these things. Peace...

1 comment:

Katie Taylor said...

Daaarg, dude! You can't mention a requiem for Mr. Rogers and then not include a link to an audio file!

I looked up the news story - dang...the guy was only 21 when he wrote it. I find people like that seriously dismaying.

Also, my sis has an 'Abraham and Isaac' on her new CD...which is, er, nothing like Britten's (you'll have to hear it...she modeled the vox on the Mothra twins).

xo KT (just ignore my screen name there...)